Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cauliflower

OK, so you don't like cauliflower. Maybe you just haven't had it fixed properly. I really like it raw, with or without some dressing such as Vidalia Onion, Bleu Cheese, Roquefort, Ranch etal.

But the best way I have ever had cauliflower was the way my mother fixed it. I have never seen a recipe for it, but I do remember it.

Cut out the stem of a fresh head of cauliflower and split the florets being careful to keep them large. Small forets will get mushy too quickly. Boil the florets in lightly salted water for 10 minutes - just long enough to make it a tad soft, but still crispy.

Make a white sauce. I use one out of an old Betty Crocker recipe book. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Stir separately 8 tablespoons flour with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and as much pepper as you like (we like a lot, some use a "dash" - some also use white pepper). Add this mixture to the butter and stir. Add 2 cups of milk quickly. Stir constantly and remove from the heat when it starts to bubble. You can also add your favorite cheese or other flavoring if you like (I don't generally). Be careful to pay attention to the cooking of the sauce because it can get too thick and the butter will separate.

Cover the cauliflower with the sauce and serve hot. It reheats well in a conventional oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment